Wednesday 23 February 2011

An ODD(BALL) experience

Dearests,
I have finally emerged from the self imposed cocoon that is planning and organising my own show. It's been a massive project that has gradually eaten more of my life, time, attention and money. But I'm back now, and it's probably a good time to reflect.

The night of the show had its ups and downs, including the issues with the venue and a compere who never turned up but on the whole it was a learning experience if nothing else! I firstly want to say thank you to all the people who were involved. All the performers were amazing and I feel really pleased with how well the lineup turned out. I have to credit my co-promoter, stage manager and sister Alex P, for her calm head and hard work and her other half Chris for his wonderful work on the website and the flyers and for his work on the door on the night. Also on the door was Owen, who got roped into it - I can't say thanks enough!

The Maids, Katy (aka Miss B Poppin) and Karen (aka Lusty Dust) were tireless in their hard work and Miss Rain kindly came, braved the crowds and took pictures. Thanks to you all ladies.

I want to thank all my friends who supported me either online or by coming to the event (some even from out of town). And finally, and most importantly, I want to thank the people who came along in the audience, tolerated the lack of space with good humour and generally made the fantastic atmosphere on the night. Without you guys there'd be no point doing it.

I learned that, at a push I can compere a show. However, it was a baptism of fire and I don't feel like I really got into the swing of it until the second act. It was fun though, but let's put it this way... I don't think I should ever attempt stand-up comedy!

The long and the short of it is, as a first show, Oddball wasn't perfect, but the spirit was there and I still had fun (between bouts of pulling my hair out). If we do another one we will definitely be looking at a seated venue as the all standing space just didn't work properly. I'm still glad we did it though and I really feel I have learned a lot about running an event, and about myself as a person. Also, being on the bill with so many people I admire has really inspired me to think about burlesque in different ways, try different approaches and try to think outside the box a little more - always a good thing in my book!

Now with Oddball finished and put to bed for the time being I am back to focusing on act creation, costuming and devising. This afternoon I have been trawling the internet for the final bits and bobs I need to finish my costume for my Baba Yaga act. In a way it feels a bit strange to be thinking about Baba again as she has been on the back burner for so many weeks but hopefully once I start work on the act again it will start to fall into place. I can't wait for my bits and bobs to come so I can start sewing - an afternoon with a needle and thread always leaves me feeling productive and I always feel like the best way to counteract the inevitable crash at the end of a big project is to throw yourself into another.

Hopefully the next time you hear from me I will have some Baba Yaga related news for you... not long now and I'll find out if my concept works or not.

'Til next time
x
Emerald

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of promoting, it's hugely rewarding AND an utter headache, but so long as the reward part outweighs the headache part it's always worth doing. I know you've had some aggro, mostly over the venue and the capacity, but you've shown yourself to be one of the decent promoters, like myself and Angel LaVey, who wants to get it right and improve where you can rather than take whatever money there is (hah!) and run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did really well hunny, I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete